Sex Ed Before Bed | Episode 6 | Navigating Consent
Published on: July 15, 2017
Karen B.K. Chan is a legendary sex educator in Toronto, Canada. For more than 20 years, she’s been teaching youth, adults and couples about sex, sexuality and emotional intelligence, but I first learned about her when someone showed me a clip of her talking about consent. She was chill, funny, and gave her audience a lot of respect. I could see how her approach worked.
Consent is one of the main reasons I wanted to be a sexual educator and it was a privilege to talk about how vague and messy consent navigation is with someone so well versed in the topic.
Expect to hear a nuanced chat about:
– what does consent look like when you’re drunk or high?
– how to establish boundaries
– rejection strategies
– what emotional literacy looks like
– what it’s like for Karen to teach people who are homophobic or racist
– strategies for confronting racism and homophobia in your own family or friend group
Visit my website or track me using these popular methods:
Track Girth Radio on Instagram.
The theme song is Rise and Shine by Audiobinger. Edited for time and volume. http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Audiobinger/~/Rise_and_Shine_1696